4 Menachem Av 5774
Dear Children of Israel,
I wish I had the gift of prophecy and could give you clear direction, but alas, I don't. However, I sometimes think I have some vague insight. Maybe it means something. Maybe it doesn't. But, our tradition teaches us that there is great significance to numbers and that sometimes a hidden message can be uncovered with the help of gematria. Ever since the beginning of this latest phase in the geulah process, I've been struck by certain numbers...
3 Jewish boys kidnapped
6 arrested for the murder of the Arab boy
18 days searching for the kidnapped boys
18 days of fighting Hamas before the first cease-fire was called
3 Jews arrested for a 'price tag attack' in Maale Adumim
3 Jews arrested for an attack on Arabs in Neve Ya'aqov
All 3s and multiples of 3.
There are 3 Avot - Avraham, Yitzchak and Ya'aqov; 3 parts to Tanakh - Torah, Nevi'im and Ketuvim. Of course, there are 3 Batei Mikdash - the two which already were and the one that is yet to be. Some say there will be a 3rd World War and that there are 3 wars of Gog uMagog. We were led by 3 in the Midbar - Moshe, Aharon and Miriam. Bnei Yisrael are divided into 3 - Yisrael, Levi and Cohen. I'm sure you can think of others.
Here are some that I found online...
(On the number 3 in Judaism)
- A symbol of holiness. The Holy of Holies occupied one-third, and the Holy Place two-thirds, of the entire Temple.
- There were three vessels each for the altar of burnt offering, the altar of incense, and the Ark.
- The Menorah had twice three arms (besides the shaft, which also held a lamp), and each arm had three knobs.
- The priestly blessing consists of three sections
- In kedusha, word "holy" is recited three times.
- The number of prayers recited daily
- The number of Shabbat meals
- The number of shofar sounds on Rosh Hashanah
- The Shalosh Ragalim (Jewish festivals): Pesach, Shavuot, and Sukkot
- Number of aliyot for a Torah reading on a weekday or at mincha
I think that this repetition of the number 3 is meant simply to communicate to us that everything that is happening today - all of the events and all of the decisions that result from them - are ultimately being orchestrated by Hashem for the good of Bnei Yisrael.
It's like a way for Hashem to give us a little wave and say "I'm here!"
If you have any other ideas, please feel free to share them in the comments.
Besorot tovot! May our mourning be quickly turned to rejoicing!!